Tuesday, June 23, 2015


Friday June 12th

Tuscany again for one day. We spent the last day on our Umbria trip in Montepulciano and Pienza. After 16 years I am back in the Tuscany that was my dream to live. I had spent months in the area of Grossetto. I am very touched. Still here: the soft hills, the cypress trees on the side of the roads, vineyards and green meadows, golden grain fields. The towns on the top of the hills, a church tower sticking out. Yes, most Italians are still catholic but also here enriches ethnic diversity the lives. Women with head covers are visible and people of color. How smooth is it to live here as a stranger? I don’t know.

The prizes!!! Since the Euro started, the prizes are crazy, I heard and I choke in the shops when I read prize tags. How do Italians survive with such prizes?

I am relieved that some of the familiar culture is still alive. The shops are closed between 1 and 4.30pm for siesta. The bars are open from early in the morning for anybody who wants to stand and have café or cappucchino. I had one as early as 6 am for Euro 1.20.

I drink the coffee and the landscape, take it all in were the memories of tastes and smells live…



 

No comments:

Post a Comment